The latest SCAR Strategic Plan for 2017 to 2022 has been published. The plan was authored by a dedicated team of scientists and leaders (Huw Griffiths, Julian Gutt, Daniela Liggett, Yan Ropert-Coudert, Aleks Terauds, Anton Van de Putte, Jerónimo López-Martínez and Jenny Baeseman) during 2016 and focuses on the five key objectives of:
- Amplifying SCAR’s leadership in Antarctic research by further strengthening and expanding high-quality collaborative and visionary Antarctic research, including observations from Antarctica;
- Offering independent scientific advice to Antarctic Treaty Consultative Meetings and other bodies dealing with Antarctic and Southern Ocean matters;
- Enhancing and growing research capacity in SCAR member countries;
- Enhancing public awareness and understanding of Antarctic issues through communication of Antarctic research results in a timely and accessible manner; and
- Facilitating unrestricted and free access to Antarctic research data.
The 2017-2022 SCAR Strategic Plan aims to advance Antarctic research, the understanding of the role of Antarctica in the global system, as well as the impact of human actives on Antarctic environments. We at Landscape Processes in Antarctic Ecosystems thank SCAR and the authors for compiling the strategic plan and look forward to contributing to this strategy.
#SCAR #SCARStrategicPlan #Antarctica #advancingpolarresearch #LPiAE